Tuesday, November 22, 2011

25 Weeks Old

Today, Baby CP is 25 weeks old.  I had just spoken to Grandpa CP on Sunday and told him that no teeth had yet erupted only to find a bottom front tooth had poked through on Monday morning!  I felt it by sticking my finger in his mouth but it was hard to get a good look, because Baby CP will stick his tongue out if you put things in his mouth.  Mr. CP had the camera ready though and this distracted Baby CP long enough to get a shot, albeit a blurry one.  It looks like the second bottom front tooth will be coming in within the next couple days.  No wonder he's been EXTRA drooly the past few days.
I know it's impossible to see in this photo, but trust me, it's there (his bottom front left)


Ever since Baby CP was little, he's basically been nursed to sleep except when he went through a few short phases where other things would work:  pacifier, holding him, and singing to him.  He will fall asleep in the carseat and the ergo, but that's not something you want to be relying on regularly.  Also, since Baby CP hit 4 months old, he started waking up twice a night instead of once, which is tough to deal with now that I've gone back to work.  So, I decided that Mr. CP should sleep train him come mid-December. 

Despite those plans, Mr. CP decided that two nights ago at 5am was the right time to start training with a little cry it out.  I was not mentally prepared, and we didn't do it "by the book" as Baby CP was in our bed at the time.  Mr. CP wouldn't let me shush him or pat him or anything!  But since he was in our bed, at least he knew we were there and had not totally abandoned him.  I felt bad because Baby CP looked so sad.  He was crying and would reach for me and tried to touch my face and would roll over to me, but after about 15 minutes, he seemed to have tired himself out and fell asleep.

Last night, I put him in his crib and turned on the musical seahorse.  Baby CP cried for about 7 or 8 minutes and then got quiet.  I peeked in through a little crack that I left in the doorway and saw him watching the belly of the growing seahorse (though he did look sad) and when the light faded, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.
Poor guy doesn't look comfortable here.

In order to stay consistent, I placed Baby CP in his crib again tonight and turned on the seahorse.  He cried for about 6 or 7 minutes, then it got quiet and when I peeked in, he was asleep.
He rolled around a bit more tonight and ended up at the foot of his crib.

Although it took about the same amount of time for him to fall asleep two nights in a row, I think it's working.  I'm grateful that he isn't one of those babies that carries on for hours and I suspect that the fact that the nanny has been able to get him take his naps during the day have eased him into sleeping without me around to feed him.  I hope within a couple more nights, Baby CP can learn to fall asleep on his own so that the tears will be worth it.