Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Back to Swaddling

In the days after Baby CP was born, the hospital staff showed us how to swaddle our little one up tight.  It seemed to soothe the little guy and you could easily rest him on your chest or up near your shoulder and he could do a little "tummy time" to strengthen his neck muscles.

As time went on during the first month, Baby CP seemed to HATE having his arms bound.  This started rather early and he prefers to sleep in what Mr. CP likes to refer to as the "I surrender" position. 
I surrender!

This was fine during the first couple weeks, because Baby CP was a sleepy one and would basically just fall asleep after each feeding.  All that changed at some point between week 2 and 3 and putting him down without waking him up has become an exercise in extreme patience and a source of frustration.  I walk with him, his eyes droop and he can't hold out anymore...he's asleep...but the moment I put him down in the co-sleeper (or 10 minutes later, which in some ways is even more frustrating), he wakes up.  After putting him down, even when done with the MOST gentle of motions, his legs and body will twist and wiggle and his arms look like they're trying to swat some imaginary flies away from his face.  This of course wakes him up.  I try to wait until he's in a deeper state of sleep, but sometimes my arms or back just get too tired or there are random things that need to get done so I feel rushed. 

Today, I decided to try the Summer Infant Swaddle Me again.  It's the small size, which I believe is for babies up to 14 lbs.  Baby CP is only between 10 and 11 lbs, but the darn thing seems so tight!  But I was in an experimental mood today, so I figured the company must have done adequate research into sizing and I wrapped him up very tight.  He screamed and cried, but after a couple minutes, since he was a little tired, he got quiet and drifted off to sleep.  It's 3 hours later and he hasn't woken up yet.  I'll have to try this a few more times to make sure it's not just a coincidence.
Mommy WHY are you doing this to me?!?