Sunday, July 17, 2011

The More Humane Swaddle

If you read my earlier post on swaddling, you know that I forced Baby CP into a Size S/M SwaddleMe pouch a few days ago that seemed awfully tight.  The next day, I tried to do it again and there was just no way it was going to fit.  The company has failed me...how can you fit a 14 lb baby into that thing??  Baby CP is already too long so the top of the swaddle pouch at best couple go around his shoulders and it is way too tight around the chest area.   Mr. CP found this unsuitable, so until I locate some larger swaddle pouches, it's back to the art of swaddling with receiving blankets which is more humane for 2 reasons - first, it's not so tight that he can barely breathe and secondly, I let his legs dangle free.
A very useful gift from Aunt T

I usually use the soft cotton muslin ones by Aden and Anais that everyone loves, but sometimes a persistent Baby CP is too strong and he can break out of the stretchier material after a bunch of wiggling.  When I need a little more structure, this flannel receiving blanket by Swaddle Designs really does the trick.  Baby CP slept for 6 hours straight!  (No, he doesn't do that consistently yet.  I blame the hibernation phase of a growth spurt.)